Why I'm Excited about D

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 6 17:15:50 PDT 2015

On Monday, 6 April 2015 at 23:51:17 UTC, Adam Hawkins wrote:
> Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I've been
> investigating the language for the past few weeks. I was able
> to complete my first useful program thanks to very helpful
> people in #d on IRC . The experience made me very interested in
> the language and improving the community around it.
>
> I'm primarily Ruby developer (been so about the last 7-8 years)
> doing web stuff with significant JavaScript work as well. I
> wrote a blog post on why I'm excited about D. You can read it
> here: http://hawkins.io/2015/04/excited-about-d/.
>
> I've been reading the forums here so I can see that there is a
> focus on improving the marketing for the language and growing
> the community. I see most of the effort is geared towards C++
> programmers, but have you considered looking at us dynamic
> languages folk? I see a big upside for us. Moving from Ruby to
> D (my case) gives me power & performance. I still have OOP
> techniques but I still have functional things like closures and
> all that good stuff. Only trade off in the Ruby case is
> metaprogramming. All in all I think there is a significant
> value promise for those of us doing backend services for folks
> like me.
>
> Regardless, I figured it might be interesting to hear about
> some experience coming to the language from a different
> perspective. Cheers!

I'm glad you like the language and felt enthusiatic enough to
write an article about it. That's pretty much how D makes me feel.

I think for pulling in Ruby people, it might be mostly the same
as pulling in web people. I think the way I see it, I'd take
vibe.d, an ORM with migrations, and runtime templates. The last
two haven't been written yet. Then I'd be happy as far as
replacing my web language of choice goes. At the moment I use
Python and Django myself because of how little code I have to
write to do a lot of things.