Some feedback on the website.

anonymous via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 15 03:13:51 PST 2015

On 15.12.2015 08:07, deadalnix wrote:
> The navigation can get very confusing. The forum and the site look the
> same, but the logo in the top right bring back to the site index/forum
> index . That is not what is expected. If it looks the same, it should
> probably be doing the same.

Agreed. And the phobos pages have yet another navigation variant that
looks similar but has different elements.

> On the website, the forum is hidden in the community menu in the middle
> of the left bar called community. If it warrant its own domain name, it
> should probably not be hidden.

The accordion menus have been introduced somewhat recently (early 2015
IIRC) to make the menu more structured, less crowded. Recently, a number
of things have been suggested to be put at the top level. The problem
is, if we put everything at the top level, we end up with an overcrowded
menu again.

Not saying that the forum shouldn't be at the top. But if we move it up,
we should probably move something else down.

> On the website, categories in the left bar, there are
> + and - sign that looks like button to open/close the category, but they
> aren't button. It breaks common expectations.

Not sure what you're asking for here. The +/- signs are part of a button
that expands/collapses the sub menus. What behavior would you expect/prefer?

> There is no way to search the spec.

Is implemented and merged. The site just hasn't been updated yet.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/1162

> Home page:
[...]
> Our is just messed up. The download link is there, but just doesn't
> stand out (same presentation as this week in D, videos from DConf, as
> big as the changelog).

I agree, others don't. See discussion on
<https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/1139> where I
originally proposed this download button:
<https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/9287500/10711239/4fb76968-7a75-11e5-8677-8a27eebdc952.png>.

Now, I don't want to complain about people not liking the design. And I
pulled the design changes back rather quickly, because the functionality
was supposed to be the subject of the PR. A big, flashy download button
has not exactly been rejected.