Some feedback on the website.

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 16 23:49:03 PST 2015

On 2015-12-17 00:01, Walter Bright wrote:

> Exactly.
>
> We'll never get anywhere chasing people who say "I'll help only if you
> convert to my way of doing things." I've done enough of that in the
> past, and concluded they're just seeing how long you'll dance to their
> tune and have no real intention of ever helping - there will just be
> another excuse.

I already help, and I use Ddoc, that's how I know it's crap ;). I wrote
the documentation for interfacing with Objective-C [1]. It was very
frustrating, especially since the PDF generator broke because latex
can't handle underscores as in "D_ObjectiveC". I did get some help in
the pull request but not from someone that knew how this actually
worked. It was most guesses.

If a more widely tool had been used I might have been able to find out
how this actually works and fixed it. Instead I had to revert to use a
hack like wrapping the text in the $(D_CODE) macro.

Of course, you will always have the issues you mention above. But if you
choose a tool that is created for web design and is widely used you will
most likely have less of these issues. Most importantly, when something
doesn't work there's documentation online to get help from.

[1] http://dlang.org/spec/objc_interface.html

--
/Jacob Carlborg