D Consortium as Book / App Publisher... ?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 22 19:05:46 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 23 December 2015 at 02:36:38 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 23/12/15 3:26 PM, Joakim wrote:
>> Are you offering to write for a D blog or to get it set up on
>> leanpub?
>> I'd never use an external platform like leanpub where I don't
>> control
>> the source, as one of the main points would be to add new paid
>> blog
>> features like the ones I've mentioned above.
>
> I would be happy to help with leanpub. With regards to pretty
> much anything.
> Ok so here is the thing about leanpub. You control the manifest.
> You can then once published do what ever you want with the
> generated files.
>
> For a magazine or book leanpub is great.
> If you really want to go the paid blog route, I'm sure we could
> kit out our own Markua (markdown) to html in worse case
> scenario.

Heh, I think you've missed the point of what I've written a bit:
I'd _never_ publish a book or magazine, even if it wasn't in
print but primarily online.  I consider that almost as bad as
telling me to write it on a parchment scroll
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll). ;) I'd only publish on a
tech blog where I control the source and could continuously add
paid blogging features like those mentioned previously, which
almost nobody is doing today.  As such, I find no use for an
external platform like leanpub.

It wouldn't take much effort to set up a paid blog based on
vibe.d, one which you could add new features to over time.  The
issue is that I'd have to find D devs who want to write for it,
as I'm not the right person to write about D (I'd probably edit
articles and run the tech/business side).

I've been thinking about contacting various D devs to see how
much interest there is- I mentioned that I contacted one guy
already- but I wasn't sure if I myself wanted to put time into
this.  I really want to put these paid blogging ideas into use
one day, but maybe D isn't the place to do it.