Thoughts on replacement languages (Reddit + D)

ponce via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 11 11:30:58 PST 2015

On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 18:25:39 UTC, francesco.cattoglio
wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 14:10:56 UTC, ponce wrote:
>> None of them has Visual Studio integration with debugging
>> support and that is pretty important for native and enterprise
>> programmers.
> If I remember correctly, just 2 month ago someone was explaining
> how they lost a commercial user because D debugging experience
> was still not good enough by a long shot. And in my daily use,
> debug experience is still subpar on windows.
>
>> only to discover it is not fun enough and fun is more
>> important than "memory safety without GC".
> WHAT? Syntax is boring, but I don't get the sense of the
> sentence

Right, might be personal judgement, at this point I was in
rant-mode. :)

Rust is supposed to replace C++, and it happens working in C++
since years, I can't help but notice we actually have very few
memory safety problems, to the point that I question that it's
something worth worrying about. At least, more than D does with
.init and bound checking.

Bjarne himself talks about how language users ask for different
things that what they actually want here:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Lang-NEXT/Lang-NEXT-2014/Keynote
(see 27:40)
Has this changed fundamentally?

> I'm obviously being the devil's advocate here, but we can't
> just say "D is much more far ahead, we have nothing to fear
> from Go and Rust", because it's just not true. And I say it as
> a daily D user, daily facing issues like the horrible
> invalidMemoryOperationError exception.

When does invalidMemoryOperationError happen and how do you avoid
it?