Use proper frameworks for building dlang.org

weaselcat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 18 06:06:05 PST 2015

On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 14:00:57 UTC, aldanor wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 13:01:48 UTC, MattCoder wrote:
>> On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 10:24:29 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
>> wrote:
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> I'm seeing a lot a topics regards about fixing website, styles
>> an so on. Maybe is time to try to raise money and hire someone
>> with good knowledge and of course freetime to work only on it?
>>
>> Matheus.
>
> It also looks a bit wrong seeing Andrei as one of the core devs
> putting so much time into the website issues, styling in
> particular (don't get me wrong, this is absolutely fantastic
> that someone's willing to do that, thanks Andrei -- and it
> looks like most of the community now recognizes the need).
>
> It's that any semi-decent web designer would probably do a
> better job on the website design and layout while still
> spending less time doing that (because they've done it a
> hundred times already and/or do it for living). However, not
> every web designer can hack on system language internals and
> review D PRs!.. So someone needs to step up and do it (and/or
> redo it, and/or hire someone to do it).
>
> That's just my 2 cents which is purely subjective.

Nobody else has really stepped up to do it, so I think Andrei
just took it upon himself to do it.

If there was a crowdfunding to pay for designers for a new D
website I'd definitely chip in a bit, but I don't know how far
that would go. I agree that the current site seems like an ugly
ddoc hack, I just recently tried to fix a broken link on the
frontpage(should be easy, right?) and was confused by ddoc so I
had to submit a bug request.