Where will D sit in the web service space?

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 15 06:04:54 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 12:34:18 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> When I say "game dev", I actually mean engines for demanding
> interactive audio-visual applications for mobile and desktop.
>
> That could be custom sound editors, video editors, paint
> programs, computer games, art installations, information kiosk
> applications, interactive simulations, educational software etc.

Though they are not as demanding interactive as shooters (maybe
except for realtime interframe, but that's a video playback, not
an editor). So what's true for shooters may be not true for other
games. My point is if you care about market adoption you should
look at numbers and should not overlook sizeable targetable parts
of the market.

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 09:05:07 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Yes, I think one only need a local GC for gameworld
> objects/NPCs/AI/scripting, so a GC could be limited to a
> specific graph/allocator right after execution when the memory
> is hot (programmer guaranteeing that there are no unregistered
> external pointers). It could indeed complete quickly for many
> game worlds.

This would work for request-response services too. Notice that
memory allocated during request usually doesn't live longer than
the request and requests are independent. But it's less pleasant
than jvm and .net that just work in most realistic scenarios and
do it reliably.