Where will D sit in the web service space?

Etienne Cimon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 18 09:55:21 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 at 15:11:30 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> However, I currently don't see much advantage in having the
> same language on client and server, so I'll probably stick to
> TypeScript/Dart, Angular2/Polymer in the near future because of
> debugging and tooling.

I think these are very good choices. I prefer to really invest in
learning and developing on D simply because the resulting code is
more easily redistributable, because you get more bang for the
buck when optimizing it, because the developers are generally
better coming from the C++ world and being hobbyists, etc. And
also, D is more promising. A lot of things can happen to
deprecate Dart, or TypeScript development completely.
Nobody/nothing's ever going to deprecate D, if anything you'll
only see the smarter devs being less afraid to pick it up and
bring it further.

>> over p2p. Browsers will never be appropriate because it will
>> always have to slow down the applications and filter
>> everything for security.
>
> IMHO: In the long term time consuming tasks might be offloaded
> to some simplified replacement for OpenCL.

I was talking more about being able to operate a website or web
application that has been censored or sabotaged. If something
happens in the coming years to the free web as we know it, people
will have to turn to custom computer programs and p2p to help
open up their web services. I'm not talking about the NSA
censoring stuff. I'm talking about companies being
anti-competitive. This seems to be becoming more and more likely
as they (Godaddy, Google, Mozilla, Facebook, Amazon, Apple,
Microsoft, Oracle, ISPs etc) become greedy and start to play
rough with each-other and newcomers, using "security" as an
excuse. It can way too easy to flip the switch on a website or
technology (eg the flash player incidents over the years). The
only solution I see is to stop relying on them so much!