D Web Services Application Potential?

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 29 20:56:23 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 01:42:02 UTC, Etienne wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 00:08:52 UTC, Brandon Ragland
> wrote:
>> A downloaded plugin, would be a man-in-the-middle solution.
>> Users get there "google search away" and developers get the
>> necessary native speed, flexibility, and components necessary
>> to perform better work.
>>
>> The browser is a stellar user-interface engine. Certainly
>> better than GTK+ or MFC by a long shot. I just don't think the
>> browser is a useful *operating system* for all these "web
>> apps" that should be native.
>
> There's been lots of improvements in the DOM, those slick CSS3
> transitions are actually hardware accelerated with OpenGL, lots
> of GUI front-ends don't event have transitions in the first
> place. I wouldn't rely on Javascript for crunching data though,
> the "slowness" you talk about? Mostly stems from that.
> Otherwise, for display, it certainly is a great tool with lots
> of open source components.
>
> Just look at this data table with 640k rows:
> http://ui-grid.info/docs/#/tutorial/404_large_data_sets_and_performance
>
> THAT is some good javascript, and it certainly beats what I've
> seen Excel do with sheets harboring 10x less data.
>
> While some are still blaming the hammer, I blame the person
> trying to hit the nail on the head with his eyes closed.

Exactly why I said the browser is an excellent User Interface
engine, but it's not a good data cruncher, or anything of the
sorts. A full fledged 3D game in the browser using JS wouldn't
run as fast as a fully native, well coded one.

Not to mention that JavaScript is inherently one of the worst
thought-up languages.[2]

Regarding JavaScript being slower, this benchmark[1] seems to
indicate that on average, JavaScript on V8 is at-least 4X slower
than a g++ compiled native package. It also appears to use
anywhere from 2-4X as much memory.

As for why Excel is slow, who knows. I don't genuinely like excel
myself, but it is unbeatable in feature-set as of yet (personal
opinion).

[1]http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64/compare.php?lang=v8&lang2=gpp
[2]http://live.julik.nl/2013/05/javascript-is-shit