Make dub part of the standard dmd distribution

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 1 06:22:44 PDT 2015

On 2/06/2015 1:11 a.m., Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 10:24:46 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> and now you killed the only sensible way to use it: as package manager.
>
> I don't care for it as a package manager either because it is too
> complex. As you know, I like to do my things as individual files. I
> don't go through the pain of making a new github repo with a gigantic
> folder layout for every little thing.
>
> One of the things I really like about D is how modules are encapsulated
> into individual files. The code is there, the documentation is there,
> the tests are there. No separate headers or anything else.
>

> The only package management scheme I'd even consider using is one that
> has a per-file option... and even then, I probably wouldn't bother
> because individual files are so easy to manage anyway that downloading a
> new program to use them doesn't exceed the "existing option is good
> enough for me" threshold.
>

> But even if I don't use it myself, it would be kinda nice if the
> repository could handle my files just so I can toss it up there and not
> have to answer questions about that anymore. I'd be willing to add them
> all individually to the repo, even listing the dependencies manually if
> I had to (tip: make this a web form that I can just submit to add stuff
> to it, no json upload).... but I'm not willing to separate my little
> repo into 25 other repos and separate my folder into 125 other folders
> to be added to it.

Something I've thought about but haven't suggested up to now is making
dub-repo to support personal projects.
Basically one repo per person preconfigured if e.g. Github/Bitbucket is
specified.

github.com/rikkimax/dubcode

Just as an idea for what I'm meaning url wise.

So then when specifying a dependency in dub, its just a matter of saying
<person>:<subproject>

It would also help with people having there own util libraries all listed.

Of course then you'd only have to dump your code in there and have a dub
file with each file being its own sub package.

Seems simple to implement, but idk if it is the answer.