A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Bayan Rafeh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 18 09:26:43 PDT 2015

I'm sorry to disrupt the conversation, but I feel like I should
weigh in since I'm a user the original critic felt D should be
attracting. I'm a CS undergrad doing my graduation project in D,
and the only other languages I worked with seriously were Python
and Java(For personal projects and coursework respectively). I
actually knew about D a couple of years ago and I wanted to try
it because I saw the nice features and wanted to use them for
something, and only recently I got a chance to use it seriously.

I was put off at first(when I learned about it) because the
rhetoric was that you need to be a serious programmer to use D,
it's not for hobbyists. I dove into it anyway a couple of months
ago because the code snippet on the old page showcased some stuff
I wanted to try using and I thought they were cool. I don't think
I've ever enjoyed programming as much as I did with D. Anything
that I needed to do was doable. It's only been a few months
programming with it and already I feel very comfortable using it.
This is despite the various bugs and weird api design choices of
the standard library.

It's only when I actually started seriously programming with it
that I actually got a feel for it's features and how they were
supposed to be used. This is where it differs from Go as far as I
can tell from this thread. I learned D just by doing what I
wanted to do in it, and looking up any features I needed or
wanted when I wanted to use, and 99 times out of 100 I found them.

This should be how D is sold. It has a higher learning curve than
Go or Python, but in the end you can use it in a style you're
comfortable with whether you come from C, Java, Haskell, Lisp,
whatever.