A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 18 12:03:16 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 18 March 2015 at 16:26:44 UTC, Bayan Rafeh wrote:

> I don't think I've ever enjoyed programming as much as I did
> with D. Anything that I needed to do was doable. It's only been
> a few months programming with it and already I feel very
> comfortable using it.

I'm with you. Although Guile Scheme is still my favorite
language, working with D has been the most fun I've had with a
programming language, and I've tried dozens of languages over a
period of almost thirty years.

> It's only when I actually started seriously programming with it
> that I actually got a feel for it's features and how they were
> supposed to be used. This is where it differs from Go as far as
> I can tell from this thread. I learned D just by doing what I
> wanted to do in it, and looking up any features I needed or
> wanted when I wanted to use, and 99 times out of 100 I found
> them.

Same for me. When using C, I find myself saying, "I want to do X"
for many different values of X. There's always a reason you can't
do X. In D I start with the assumption that I can do anything
that comes to mind. When using Go, there's a lot of stuff you
can't do, but there's only one reason you can't do it. Because
the Go team thinks anyone wanting do it doesn't know how to
program.

> This should be how D is sold. It has a higher learning curve
> than Go or Python, but in the end you can use it in a style
> you're comfortable with whether you come from C, Java, Haskell,
> Lisp, whatever.

I would characterize it more as a longer learning curve than a
higher learning curve. It's not like C++ where you have to master
so much complicated sh*t in order to use the language. One of the
first things I was told to do when I started with C++ was learn
Boost. Bjarne Stroustrup has complained that Boost is excessively
complicated, and a beginner's supposed to learn it? You don't get
that with D. It was probably six months before I even bothered to
learn D's templates. I have seen so many times "big language" and
"complicated language" used interchangeably wrt D. It's a big
language but not a complicated one IMO.