D as System Language

lobo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 19:24:41 PDT 2015

On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 15:39:07 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 15:32:25 UTC, Columbus wrote:
>> "Is there usefull documentation about using D as OS language?"
>
> I wrote briefly in my book some stuff that might help get you
> started
> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/d-cookbook
>
> Basically you can start with an empty runtime and then add back
> missing functions as needed to get it to compile.
>
>> For your interest: At first, the OS should run on x86_64.
>
> Though I did 32 bit, I haven't worked with 64 bit. Probably not
> that much different though.

I wrote a small 64-bit OS kernel that basically echos keystrokes
back at you. I got bored with mine. I'd done what I was
interested in, which was a x86_64 bootloader in ASM + D using
grub2.

The osedv.org site was useful but a lot of the information is
incorrect or outdated, especially the 64-bit bootloader and grub2
stuff.

The D Cookbook is a great read by the way, nice work !

bye,
lobo