Uphill

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 31 22:45:55 PDT 2015

On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 05:37:39 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
> On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 05:20:27 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 05:14:59 UTC, Manu wrote:

>>> Ah, yeah, but Unity itself is all C code. Every modern game
>>> has a
>>> scripting solution, just that Unity has made that interface
>>> front-and-center. Lots of meaty Unity plugins are native too.
>>
>> Since last Unity version, C# is also compiled to native code
>> via IL2CPP.
>
> Only because of mono's license update, it's why they've been
> using a nearly decade old mono for so long.

No, only because they are too cheap to pay for the work of
Xamarin.

I doubt that the amount of money wasted in Danish salaries for
writing a .NET native compiler is cheaper than paying for the
licenses.

However riding the fame wave is easy to forget how unknown they
were before they firstly added Mono to their JavaScript and Boo
offerings, followed by porting the engine to Windows.

So I don't really get why Xamarin gets the blame and Unity is
portraid as the good guys.

For me they are just a company that got lucky using open source
and now doesn't want to pay back.

Xamarin is doing great without their money.