Dazz new description for D

Andy Smith via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 17 16:39:48 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 at 10:42:05 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 at 01:09:41 UTC, Andy Smith
> wrote:
>> ... and with that fantastically witty comment I guess many
>> potential female D developers have ruled themselves out...
>
> (I hate myself when I bite trolling, but in case you are
> serious; be careful with that patronizing attitude around
> norwegian women, not all of them take kindly to men who suggest
> that they are incapable of distinguishing between a sexist
> comment and a self-deprecating comment making fun of male
> culture, or that they are incapable of taking a joke...
>
> There is a fine line between being chivalrous and suggesting
> that women aren't capable of standing up for themselves. Just
> saying. It can backfire...)

Hi Ola,

I wasn't in the greatest of moods when I wrote that comment so
I'm sorry for the tone of that comment. Looking back a few weeks
later I can see it wasn't a particularly constructive comment so
I apologize! I like to think of myself as being a wee bit
classier than that which is probably why I've taken a while to
respond.

Just to clarify, I honestly wasn't trolling. Chivalry is not
really on my radar either way, and being from the North East
coast of Scotland I've learned not to mess with your fellow
Norwegians (of either gender :-) )

*However* at the risk of sounding like a complete 'PC' prude. I
feel (very respectfully!) that comments such as the 'D-cup' one
should be left out of the public D fora. I'm currently not in
Norway (nor Scotland) but working for a U.S. based firm, where
the humour certainly doesn't translate that well.

Cheers,

A.