Moving back to .NET

David DeWitt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 07:27:23 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 14:21:56 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 13:54:40 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> full-fledged IDE, there would be other concerns (or excuses).
>> D scares people away. It's too raw, too bare bones, everything
>> is still moving like hot lava, and maybe people are
>> intimidated by
>
> Yes, stability is important for commercial development. I
> notice some people say that you can just lock yourself to a
> particular compiler, but this does not work. Not even for C++.
> Yesterday I had to upgrade to a more recent version of clang
> just to get a library to work, which used some C++14 features.
>
> Yet, it would be a tragedy for D to freeze on backwards
> compatibility like C++ has done. Rust and D has the advantage
> that they can move forward faster than C++. Having lots of
> commerical development in D right now would just be a drag, IMO.
>
> Though, I think a lighter version of D geared towards embedded
> and asm.js could be a good commercial option (no gc in release,
> no exceptions, no classes, no growable slices etc). Basically
> enter a market where there is less competition (just C and
> perhaps Rust).

Look at Node thats stuff changes like every hour yet ppl still
use it.  Angular 2 is breaking stuff, React and React-Router is
changing for the next release, Rust is still changing.  C++ cant
really just up and break backwards compatibility  at this point.

I think some people do like the structure but if you look at
something like Node then you can see some don't.  NPM is like the
wild west.  Even though I don't use an IDE it is important to
have a couple decent options.  Just like its nice to have a few
options in anything.  I can goto Python or Java and prolly have a
few options for web development, and just about anything.  I
think we have a few decent IDE choices but they prolly just need
work.  Do ppl really use and IDE with Go/Rust though?

I still think a good way to get more visibility for D is Youtube.
  Thats free advertisement and there a numerous features of D and
Vibe that would make great video series.  Also maybe latch on to
other things that are hot.  People are learning stuff like React,
Redux, Flux....  Make the backend API in Vibe or something and
make a video series and github page on it.... Im learning redux
for work and may try and do this.  Bottomline is its hard to get
those "Enterprisy" developers to change their ways from their
Java/.NET world. Just focus on making good s*** and ppl will come.