Official compiler

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 18 07:58:14 PST 2016

On 02/18/2016 09:22 AM, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> Lots of programmers out there use and love languages that are far slower
> than any code DMD produces (think JavaScript, Python, Ruby). So I see no
> point here.

While that's true, my impression is most of the users and fans of those
languages use them *because* they're fundamentally dynamic (unlike D),
deliberately lacks every feature they possibly CAN lack (unlike D), and
lack all the compile-time safety that D promotes as features.

So regarding those langauges' reduced speed, while many of their users
don't care one bit ("why aren't you a consumer whore like me? go buy a
new machine, you dinosaur!"), there seems to also be a large population
that merely *tolerates* the lower speed for the sake of the dynamicness
and the lack-of-compile-time-anything that they love. The first group
will likely never be tempted by D regardless, but for the second group,
a language that's fast like C/C++ but not nearly as unproductive IS
appealing, and even seems to be something they're often on the lookout for.