TIOBE December 2015 - D rose 5 positions

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 3 08:19:49 PST 2016

On Sunday, 3 January 2016 at 15:58:21 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Github has the same problem, btw.  I recently spent some time
> going through the top repositories in this list, and it's
> surprising how many are miscategorized as D, despite having the
> source:

Yep, Github isn't neutral, but it is the best source for trending
information I know of, although enterprise technologies
(Microsoft, Oracle etc) are underrepresented there.

But search engine bias is worse I think. For instance, when I
search for javascript technologies I never use the phrase
"javascript". I often search for the specific API since
JavaScript is so popular that the APIs themselves already get
good ranking! But when I search for info on C++ I usually start
with "c++" in every single search, since C++ isn't as popular as
JavaScript.

Also ranking a search "rust tutorial" fails because Rust already
have _very_ good standard documentation, so fewer people need to
search for it.

In one instance I also noticed that the search for "d tutorial"
matched "d-link tutorial" (how to set up a router). :-) And even
"d vitamin tutorial", or something like that. :-D

I think the big swooping "automated data collection" lists are
way too noisy to be useful. The timeline on some specific phrases
on Google Trends do say something though.

> I don't know much about Docker: is most of their stack built on
> Go, as opposed to a few key components?  Also, they value their

If you look at github, you'll see that several of the high
ranking Go projects are related to Docker, Kubernetes and such.
So Go seems to become a defacto replacement for C in areas where
C isn't really neededspeed isn't crucial (e.g. configuration etc).

Not so strange, for companies that deals with a specific
application area it makes sense to standardize on one language.

So, commercial uptake appears to be driving Go adoption in the
area of "cloud deployment" of various kinds?