Vision 2016 H1

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 26 06:24:57 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 07:18:43 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 04:57:11 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> It is amazing that D has gotten so far as an OSS project
>> without commercial backing, a credit to the engineering sense
>> of Walter and the core team.  But I don't think you can
>> organize your way around that fundamental obstacle.
>
> I don't think that is accurate at all.

Which part?  There's at least three statements there, one largely
factual, one opinion, then a prediction.  It's unclear what you
think is inaccurate, since you don't say.

> But paid work will make it easier to get the boring or
> difficult parts done. Hobby programmers will gravitate towards
> the fun parts and copying the design of others (e.g. Linux
> copying Unix).
>
> For D, the difficult part is completing the language on paper.
> It is human nature to push difficult parts are into the future,
> but one should actually say "no more work on easy parts, we
> have to do the difficult parts first". And that takes decisive
> leadership.
>
> Implementing is the easy part.

I wouldn't say D has pushed the difficult parts, and often
implementing takes a lot of work too.  Obviously, the design is
usually more important in the long-term, but the design "on
paper" won't matter if nobody wants to implement it.