D is crap

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 12 00:01:05 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 at 03:25:38 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Monday, 11 July 2016 at 18:14:11 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> I don't do Android programming, but NDK is actually fairly rich
> in comparison to Apple OSes without Objective-C bindings AFAIK.
> The problem seems to be more in the varying hardware
> configurations / quality of implementation.

Not really, it is a real pain to use and feals like an half-baked
solution developed by people that were forced by their manager to
support anything else other than Java.

The iOS and WP SDKs have much better support for C++, specially
the
integration with native APIs via Objective-C++ and C++/CX and the
debugging tools.

> Not using Java on Android sounds like a PITA to be honest.

Yes, the Android team goes to great lengths to make it feel like
that.

> I don't know much about .NET Native, does it apply to or will
> they bring it to .NET Core?

Yes, it is called CoreRT.

> A change in recent years is that Microsoft appears to invest
> more in their C++ offering, so apparently they no longer see C#
> as a wholesale replacement.

Not really, the big looser is C.

After the OS Dev team won the political war against the DevTools
team,
thanks to the Longhorn debacle, the wind changed into the whole
going native
theme.

Parallel to that the whole Midori effort was ramped down and its
learnings
brought back to the production side of Microsft.

Also contrary to what Microsoft tried to push with C++/CX on
WinRT, besides
game developers not many decided to embrace it.

So the result is C# getting the nice features from System C#, AOT
compilation to
native code via the Visual C++ backend.

At the same time, the internal efforts to clean C++ code where
taken outside and the C++ Core Guidelines were born.

Also Kenny Kerr a very vocal C++ MVP (and MSDN Magazine
collaborator) against C++/CX was hired, and is now driving the
effort to create a WinRT projection using plain standard modern
C++.

>> The WinRT, User Driver Framework, the new container model and
>> Linux subsystem, the Checked C, input to the C++ Core
>
> I haven't paid much attention to WinRT lately, they have a
> Linux subsystem?

Yes, will be available in the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary
edition.

It is built on top of the Drawbrige picoprocesses that are now a
Windows 10 feature.

Basically it only supports x64 ELF binaries and makes use of the
pico-processes infrastructure to redirect Linux syscalls into NT
ones.

It is a collaboration between Microsoft and Ubuntu and there are
quite a few Channel 9 videos describing how the whole stack works.