I'd love to see DScript one day ...

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 11 03:14:25 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 11 June 2016 at 09:23:55 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 10 June 2016 at 22:01:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 6/10/2016 3:55 AM, Chris wrote:
>> > Cool. I'd love to see `DScript` one day - and replace JS once
>> and for all ...
>> > well ... just day dreaming ...
>>
>> Dreams are reality:
>>
>> https://github.com/DigitalMars/DMDScript
>
> Thanks for opening a new thread about this topic.
>
> Does DMDScript work with the latest version of D2? I once
> wanted to use DMDScript as a server side JS with vibe.d, but
> there were issues concerning versions of D etc. so I dropped
> the idea.
>
> However, with `DScript` I meant a new scripting language that
> can draw on the power of D, not necessarily a re-implementation
> of JS. Adam[1] and ketmar[2] have already worked on D based
> scripting languages. I wonder, if there is interest in creating
> a D-based (not `debased`) scripting language. D has features
> that are perfect for scripting or DS languages. Why not try
> something new? Having a child language might also help with D
> development in general, who knows.

Do you want a scripting language in general or a browser language?

I have given up hope for different browser languages than
Javascript. The problem is not finding a language. A lot of
people would love to have Lua, Python, or something else and it
has not happened yet. Dart was the most serious attempt. They had
full-time people at Google working on it and they gave up. The
problem is that Javascript is tightly coupled to the DOM data
structures. Disentangling that und inserting a layer in between
there is the hard part. Oh, and you have to do this for all the
major browser engines.

If you just want to have a general purpose scripting language
(e.g. for a game) you can use Lua, Javascript, TCL, and others
already. How would you improve upon them?