I'd love to see DScript one day ...

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 11 03:34:41 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 11 June 2016 at 10:14:25 UTC, qznc wrote:

> Do you want a scripting language in general or a browser
> language?
>
> I have given up hope for different browser languages than
> Javascript. The problem is not finding a language. A lot of
> people would love to have Lua, Python, or something else and it
> has not happened yet. Dart was the most serious attempt. They
> had full-time people at Google working on it and they gave up.
> The problem is that Javascript is tightly coupled to the DOM
> data structures. Disentangling that und inserting a layer in
> between there is the hard part. Oh, and you have to do this for
> all the major browser engines.

No, JS is here to stay, unfortunately.

> If you just want to have a general purpose scripting language
> (e.g. for a game) you can use Lua, Javascript, TCL, and others
> already. How would you improve upon them?

Yep, something like that. We could look into what a scripting
language based on D could offer that others can't - based on D's
features. If you have an easy to use scripting language, people
in science and data processing could use it for fast development.
If speed is crucial, modules could be written in D or even C[1].
Just because we already have Python and Lua doesn't mean we
shouldn't try to create another one.

[1] Interfacing to C in Lua and Python is a bit annoying.
`DScript` could offer both access to D and C. In fact, `DScript`
could also interact with Lua and Python (cf. PyD and LuaD).