Articles/Doc repo on Official dlang github

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 15 13:16:16 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 at 19:34:13 UTC, dewitt wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 at 18:20:19 UTC, Steven
> Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On 6/15/16 1:51 PM, dewitt wrote:
>>> I don't know if this has been asked before and I am too lazy
>>> to search.
>>> Has anyone brought up the idea of adding a repo to the
>>> official dlang
>>> project on github with Articles.  I know the website has a
>>> section but
>>> think that a repo with md files might get more collaboration
>>> and result
>>> in more useful articles.  I see with dotnet they have the
>>
>> They are already on github:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org
>>
>> -Steve
>
> Are you talking the dd files?  I am saying markdown that you
> can just click in github and view.  If it is the dd files then
> that process, although not hard if more tedious for
> collaborating than markdown that can easily be viewed in my
> opinion.  Plus that consists of the entire dlang site.  a
> separate repo would serve a specific purpose of holding
> articles that people could view easily on github.  Plus I
> believe a PR for MD would be easy to view how the file would
> look in the PR itself.  Thats just my opinion.

A couple of points maybe are useful to you:

- We use the same approach for tour.dlang.org and since yesterday
every chapter is a small markdown file that is just a button
click away.
We already got people who want to contribute content that you
could consider as an article, e.g. [2].

- In future D's DIPs will be written in Markdown (WIP at [3]).

- There is also awesome-d [4], which is just a big link
collection, but also written in Markdown.

[1] http://tour.dlang.org/
[2] https://github.com/stonemaster/dlang-tour/pull/289
[3] https://github.com/Dicebot/DIPs
[4] https://github.com/zhaopuming/awesome-d