Pitching D to a gang of Gophers

Shammah Chancellor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 9 08:10:07 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 13:23:55 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 03/07/2016 02:17 PM, landaire wrote:
>> I'd like to add that one of the things that I love about Go is
>> that it
>> is crazy easy to cross-compile. `GOOS=freebsd go build` and I
>> have a
>> FreeBSD binary sitting in my working directory, ready to send
>> off.
>
> What would be some good cases for that? When I want to
> cross-compile, I ssh into the target machine and build there.
> -- Andrei

Well,  at least in a commercial environment, not having to have
multiple pools of build machines is very helpful.  That is to
say, I don't need 10 windows machines sitting around waiting to
accept a job, since I can just cross compile with `GOOS=windows
GOARCH=386 go build` on linux.

This is also why gofmt is so awesome -- if you're working with a
team of 40 other engineers, you don't want to be messing with
formatting holy-wars.

And another item for this thread that D really shines at:

const and immutable -- Golang lacks const and immutable.  When
working with large-ish teams, it's pretty annoying not to be able
to require a library take a const, or immutable parameter.

-S