Pitching D to a gang of Gophers

sanjayss via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 14 10:15:41 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 13:23:55 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 03/07/2016 02:17 PM, landaire wrote:
>> I'd like to add that one of the things that I love about Go is
>> that it
>> is crazy easy to cross-compile. `GOOS=freebsd go build` and I
>> have a
>> FreeBSD binary sitting in my working directory, ready to send
>> off.
>
> What would be some good cases for that? When I want to
> cross-compile, I ssh into the target machine and build there.
> -- Andrei

It's typical in an embedded target development environment that
you are working on Windows (or nowadays Linux) and developing for
some target platform (though yeah, perhaps it doesn't make much
sense to build on Windows for FreeBSD, I assume the idea is to
make target platform development sort of generic). It also helps
if you are trying to develop a multi-platform tool and prefer to
develop on just one platform -- a single build could potentially
generate binaries for all the target platforms.