Some crazy ideas from a high level perspective

Basile B. via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 22 08:50:15 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 at 15:33:04 UTC, Edwin van Leeuwen
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 at 15:19:10 UTC, rikki cattermole
> wrote:
>> Idea 1:
>>
>> Sigh I do wish the author of gl3n had given permission for
>> relicense for Phobos. Would do what you want.
>>
>> Idea 3:
>>
>> My goal is get windowing/image library into Phobos. Now that
>> is not a UI toolkit but you can atleast get a window up and
>> show an image like a graph.
>> Kinda everything you want.
>
> Any tips on how easy it will be to plot a cairo surface to a
> window ?

Very easy.

- wrap a context in a Canvas with the methods for drawing.
- BLIT the cairo surface.

It also works with simple bitmaps, so image proceduraly rendered.
Actually I've started to work on this at the end of 2015.

(https://github.com/BBasile/kheops/blob/master/src/kheops/bitmap.d#L396)

While it was planned to make a native D UI, using it to plot 2D
data would require very few work. There's also a OO wrapper
called cairoD or something like that which is for sure very easy
to use to render bitmap proceduraly.

The positive point with cairo is that it has a "png surfaces" so
images can be saved in a single call (cairo_surface_write_to_png).