Discuss vulkan erupted, the other auto-generated vulkan binding

ParticlePeter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 17 21:51:10 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 at 20:34:17 UTC, Manuel König wrote:
>> > What I want to do is to tell dub that erupted should depend
>> > on xcb-d in my project's dub.json, is that possible?
>>
>> I am not very confident with dub, but think that it would not
>> work. Maybe you ask in the dub forum?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Another way would be, and I think I'll go for it, that I add
>> dub
>> platform configurations. In your case it would be:
>> "subConfigurations": { "erupted": "dub_platform_xcb" }
>> which would add xcb-d as dependency and the relevant xcb-d
>> modules in erupted.types.d
>>

> Sounds reasonable, picking a subconfig is definitely easier to
> use and implement. I was looking into that too, the only
> nitpicking I have is that it sounded like you can't select
> multiple subconfigurations. So for corner cases like having
> your app support xcb and xlib, a new subconfig has to be added.
> But I'll have to try that for myself.

Actually that's a good point, I had also some trouble with this
behavior as well already. Do you have any suggestions to solve
that?
One way would be using glfw3 or some other platform abstraction
layer and not using platform versions yourself.

> On another note, while I like the creative package naming, it
> may not
> be very easy for search engines to pick up or recognize by
> potential
> users as vulkan bindings. The project is still new, but
> gooogle and duckduckgo don't find erupteD when searching for
> "dlang
> vulkan", but they do find derelict-vulkan, d-vulkan and
> vulkanizeD. I
> hope I'm just overanalyzing, but I think having vulkan in the
> name
> would be good. But I see that we're getting out of naming
> options
> here...

I agree with all your arguments, in particular that last one :-)
but I think as long as google and duckduck show that something is
happening with vulkan in dland its O.K. Diving deeper and using
dub package search for vulkan does list erupted. Additionally I
asked vinjn/awesome-vulkan and jcoder58/VulkanResources to list
erupted as d binding.