Garbage Collector?

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 29 01:33:21 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 29 April 2017 at 07:15:36 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 28.04.2017 17:43, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> No. Every single thread I read in the last couple of years
>> ended with
>> Walter pointing out issues that need to be "hashed out" and
>> then nobody
>> doing it.
>
> This is not the full story though. Among Walter's constraints
> for an acceptable solution always were:
>
> 1. cannot add new syntax

I've dug through what records I know of surrounding these
discussions [1][2][3][4][5] and could not come up with a
statement of his that supports this hard-line claim. You may be
right, considering that adding new syntax is a non-trivial
change, but I'd need the citation.

> 2. cannot add polymorphism to the type system (because it is
> "hard to understand")

Same as above.

[1] http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/dlang-study/
[2]