Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Laeeth Isharc laeethnospam at nospam.laeeth.com
Wed Dec 27 16:38:35 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 07:44:30 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/26/2017 4:18 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> All of which brings us full circle: when it comes to
>> programming
>> languages and software development, it is all about advocacy,
>> prejudice, and belief, there is very, very little science
>> happening –
>> and most of the science that is happening is in the psychology
>> of
>> programming, about which most developers of programming
>> languages know
>> nothing.
>
> If you're hinting that I know nothing about the topic, you're
> mistaken :-)
>
> A fair amount of D's design is based on psychology.

I'd love to hear more about this sometime.  I think that's what
people who assess languages based on checklists miss - it's the
gestalt of the features and how they are organised and the
consequence of this for the pattern of the code as it emerges,
rather than particular tickbox features that's appealing.  (I
agree with code phantom that an adaptation to how people chunk is
one of those benefits).