Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Dec 28 21:31:58 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-12-28 at 16:43 +0000, John Gabriele via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 15:57:18 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> > On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 11:27:29 UTC, Russel Winder
> > wrote:

[…]
> > Not only GStreamer, Rust is on its way to become an offical
> > GNOME language, and who knows, eventually take over Vala's role.

I think Vala is rapidly becoming a failed experiment. A great idea to
embody the GNOME object model via a programming language with a code
generator to C, but traction outside a core group has failed.

> I haven't followed Gnome+Rust news. What suggests Rust may be on
> its way to become an official Gnome language?

There is an increasing dissatisfaction with C for GNOME object model
working due to lack of RAII and buffer overruns, at least in the small
area of GNOME stuff I know.

> I'd think that people looking to write apps for Gnome would be
> more inclined to use a *higher*-level language, like D (see GtkD)
> or Python (see PyGObject) rather than a lower-level one like Rust
> where there's a need to deal with borrowing and lifetimes.

Python works fine but people are increasingly against a non-native
language, that distributed as source with perceived lack of compile
type checking. Only one of the complaints has any real validity, and
that is very real.

> Another possible contender I'd forgotten about:
> [Kotlin/Native](https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-native). I
> see they have some sample code for using GTK:
> <https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-native/tree/master/samples/gtk>.

Last time I looked at the Kotlin/Native GTK+ binding it was literally
calls to the C API, which is worse than using C because with Kotlin you
expect a higher level binding – which C++, D, and Rust all provide.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200