syntax sugar: std.path::buildPath instead of from!"std.path".buildPath

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 15 09:25:04 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 at 16:20:30 UTC, Chris Wright
wrote:
> The greatest annoyance is if I have to read through several
> files of phobos sources just to figure out why there's no
> matching overload for this function call that looks right to me.

I really really REALLY REALLY wish the compiler would tell you at
least which part of the boolean expression failed. Then, at
least, you could dig deeper with your own static asserts on those
individual things or something.

tbh I actually want opt-in XML error messages with obscene levels
of detail. We'd pwn IDE integration with that and can really save
programmers wads of time by giving them all the info they
actually need.

D used to promote its readable error messages as a strength over
C++. We've fallen far behind in that category now.

  This doc improvement means I only have to go to
> dpldocs.info (which I'm probably already at), search for the
> term, and click a few times.

indeed, I'm pretty happy with my navigation. And I'm slowly but
surely fixing the automatic cross referencing. D name lookup
across modules is kinda hard, this is one place dmd/ddoc would
have a strong theoretical advantage since it understands the
semantics and already knows the module graph.

But, I'm already 80% there... and it is yielding pretty great
results in practice. I'll do alias lookups next time I spend a
few hours on this (tbh since it is good enough for me, it is all
low priority relative to the other things I have to do, so it is
moving slowly now.)