Learning programming with D - optimizing the entry point / the environment?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 23 11:25:55 PDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:02:19AM -0700, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 05:51:42PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Thursday, 23 March 2017 at 17:39:04 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> > > How about a four-dimensional crawler? :)
> >
> > What is that?
>
> A game in which you navigate a (hypothetical, but mathematically
> straightforward) universe that consists of 4 spatial dimensions.
>
> I've actually written such a thing before... it's not that hard since
> the math is pretty obvious.  And it can be represented on the screen
> simply as an n*n grid in which each cell is an m*m grid, thus
> accounting for all 4 dimensions.  Such a display may or may not be
> readily understood by the player, though.  Presentation of 4D
> constructs on a 2D screen is a tricky problem, to say the least. :-P
[...]

And BTW, that was written for a text console, so the only library needed
was a terminal control library (which in theory could be dispensed with,
as you could just output the escape sequences yourself / call the OS
console functions yourself).

Unfortunately it was written in C (it dates from before my D days).

Heads I win, tails you lose.