Learning programming with D - optimizing the entry point / the environment?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 24 12:03:02 PDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 06:48:32PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 March 2017 at 18:25:55 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > And BTW, that was written for a text console, so the only library
> > needed was a terminal control library (which in theory could be
> > dispensed with, as you could just output the escape sequences
> > yourself / call the OS console functions yourself).
>
> Oh, my terminal.d makes that simple anyway!

Oh yeah, I've found terminal.d to be extremely useful in the little
console apps I've been writing.  Thanks for that!

Before I came across terminal.d, I had to resort to binding with
lib[n]curses, whose API is a sorry mess, esp. when Unicode is involved.
(Plus, many API functions are implemented as C macros, which makes it a
royal pain to interface with D code -- I basically had to wrap them in
an additional C wrapper library on top of linking in libncurses in the
first place.)

> I want to close some of the gap between terminal and simpledisplay
> though. I wrote a little file text viewer for someone on irc today
> with simpledisplay and it was a bit of a hassle. On the other hand, a
> high-level widget is outside sdpy's charter, but being able to write
> text is really useful... and surprisingly complicated with low-level
> apis, so I think I'll do something.
>
> But regardless, for a 2d game, sdpy and terminal both give what you
> need to make it pretty simple.

Technically, it would work for a "3D" game too, if you're willing to
sacrifice the realism of 3D perspective projection and settle with 2D
slices of 3D. :-P  (Hey, if that works for 4D, why not for 3D?)

It said to install Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux instead.