My two cents on what D needs to be more successful...

Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 21 12:33:35 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 21 May 2017 at 18:29:46 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 May 2017 at 05:52:11 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>> * the following *standard* libraries :
>
> Suppose I made a dmd distribution with my libraries
> pre-packaged (I already have libraries for most the stuff you
> listed)... would that work for you? Or must it come from the
> dlang.org site and be `std.` for it to count?
>
> I have no interest whatsoever in being in the official standard
> library though. Of course, using my libs is pretty trivial...
> download one or two files and add them to your build command,
> done.

I understand your point, but standard libraries come along with
the compiler during its installation.

Let's suppose I want to use regular expressions and they would
not have been not part of the std libraries.

I would have to evaluate several libraries from github, after
having searches on forums whether some regular expression
libraries are better or more successful, or better maintained
than other, etc.

And I would be lucky to find a tutorial on this particular
library.

Moreover I would have to download this library manually along
with its dependencies, etc.

I know that's not that hard with dub-like tools, but this doesn't
make things simpler, that's obvious.

Standard libraries exist for one good reason : they are the
reference implementation that everybody use by default, unless
they want something especially tailored to their specific needs.

So for newcomers like me, they make a HUGE difference, as they
make my life simpler and easier.

All tutorials use them, whether they are on the official website
or not.

Remember that I've programmed tens of years in C++, but just a
few months of D.

So I don't know anything about how to make GUI, web sites etc
with D.

That's new to me, and thus this gets me out of my "comfort" zone.

For instance a standard GUI library would have made my life much
easier.

Just for the GUI, I've downloaded 7 libraries, and I've just
evaluated gtkd at the moment.

Dlangui seems fine too, etc.

If D had a standard GUI library, and I didn't like its design, I
could look for an alternative on github.

But at least my first GUI program already runs without having to
evaluate anything, by simply reading the official tutorials and
documentations.

For smarter people this wouldn't make a difference, but
personally I need simplicity, especially when I have to decide to
use a new language and learn its libraries to do what I can
already do with my current language (C++ and Go in my case).

So I fully respect your opinion, and in my case, I would have
appreciated to have a default GUI library, even if it's not
perfect, and even if some better alternative could exist on
github.

That's all I say :)