Weak Eco System?

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 22 01:56:05 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 18 May 2017 at 05:43:48 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 17 May 2017 at 00:51, Benro via Digitalmars-d <
> digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> 4 Hours work. Discouraged and gave up after this.
>>

> Visual Studio proper is the only IDE that 'just works' well,
> VisualD is
> very good.
> MonoDevelop also has good 'just works' support last I checked,
> but
> debugging is much better in Visual Studio.

We could use a more precise statement than "just works".

Here is someone who likes IntelliJ IDEA's Rust support [0]. What
I can see:

* Show documentation in tooltip
* Inline renaming of local variable (What about project-wide?)
* Completion (with semantics, I assume)
* Find all uses (of a local variable? What about project-wide?)
* One-click dependency resolution (I guess)
* Folding

What I do not see (might or might not be available):

* Advanced refactoring, like "extract function" or "converted
lambda to named function"
* Clicking on build errors/warnings and showing them inline
* Displaying unit test status
* Integrated debugger (which should probably have various
sub-items...)
* Integrated profiling
* GUI builder
* Color picker