DMD PR management hits a new low

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 20:44:08 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 18 November 2017 at 13:08:55 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 November 2017 at 07:52:43 UTC, Michael V.
> Franklin wrote:
>> I'll just refer you to this comment:
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6947#issuecomment-345423103
>>
>>> Manually merging this pull as it sat around long enough
>>> waiting to be marked approved that it accumulated github's
>>> max 1000 status updates per commit id and won't ever see more
>>> until a new commit becomes current for it. Let that sink
>>> in... over 1000 builds done for a single pull request before
>>> it got marked for merging.
>>

> It’s time for us to understand that letting PRs rot in the open
> and uncertain state is even worse then outrightly rejecting
> controversial work.
>
> It damages reputation, deters future contributions and clutters
> the queue.
>
> I’d suggest to put on a grim reaper’s robe and cutdown things
> that are not attended.
> If we were  too eager to close, no worries - just create a new
> PR.

Agreed. I tried my hand at this awhile ago with the Phobos queue
and went on a mini closing/merging/pinging spree, but was very
conservative at the risk of stepping on toes and thus was only
able to get the number of open PRs down to 90 (and now it's back
up over 110 again). I've noticed, however, that while
Phobos/Druntime get most of the attention, dmd is really
languishing. The are currently 182(!) open pull requests for dmd,
with over half (99) being open for 1 year or more. The situation
is getting out of control.

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pulls?utf8=✓&q=is%3Apr%20is%3Aopen%20created%3A<2016-11-18