Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Sjoerd Nijboer dlang at sjoerdnijboer.com
Tue Aug 28 00:35:38 UTC 2018

On Monday, 27 August 2018 at 21:34:53 UTC, RhyS wrote:
> My question becomes, how is it possible that D supposedly only
> has a income of 3.2K ( opencollective ).

Well, one could aquire grants from Mozila through MOSS or The
Linux Foundation for development. One could market D as the very
next javascript through LLVM and WebAssembly, for which its
actually really really good. Or, one could go with a few
benchmarks of productivity, code quality and operation cost to
one of the big companies with a lot of custom software running on
cloudservers. Being able to say that your solution can approach
C/C++ speeds while having java like development speeds and in
general a better maintainability than java is a huge plus for
them. They might want to invest in D so that they might have a
better tool in one or two years, plus dedication from the
community.

Granted, its not as simple as that. Goals need to be set, and the
roadmap must become clear. And Andrei and Walter need to say yes
or no to a plan from which they won't know if it'll neccesarily
work out. But for exactly this, a manager for D would be perfect.
Because the power of D is that the language must become better,
even if that results in postphoning desparately wanted features.
(Preffarably not)