Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Laeeth Isharc Laeeth at laeeth.com
Thu Aug 30 00:15:38 UTC 2018

On Monday, 27 August 2018 at 20:15:03 UTC, Ali wrote:
> On Monday, 27 August 2018 at 19:51:52 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
>> On Monday, 27 August 2018 at 18:20:04 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>> Then the D Foundation should work on it.
>> Easier said then done. You can't go around demanding people to
>> build factories without addressing the issues that comes with
>> building factories, such as the big question of how is it
>> going to be payed to be built.
>>
>> -Alex
>
> No one is (and no one should be) demanding anything, hoping
> maybe..
>
> Walter, wants to build D, and he is doing what he can to
> continue building it
> Andrei and many others joined him
>
> If we are sharing our opinion, its not coming from any sense of
> entitlement, we are sharing our opinion, because the builders,
> provided the platform for us to voice our opinion
>
> And again, because I keep repeating this, if they want more
> donations, I think talking more about the future plans will
> help, D currently neither have a larger user base, or an
> ambitious future plan, it make sense that they are not getting
> a lot of donations, they are not really making it attractive to
> donate
>
> I think that most current donors are probably incentivized by
> negative factors, or negatively motivated, they are probably
> afraid D's Development will stop or they feel guilty for using
> the language and not providing much back
>
> I dont think many donors are doing so because they are excited
> about the future
>
> Nothing seriously wrong about negative motivation, it works,
> but positive motivation is  off

I donate to the D Foundation via my personal consulting company
though it is listed under the name of Symmetry Investments.

I see that I am the second biggest donor after Andrei.  I think I
can have more insight into my motivations than you can, and I can
say that I am motivated by enthusiasm about commercial benefits
and it wouldn't have occurred to me to donate out of fear, as you
suggest.  If one makes a mistake I am in a business where the
custom is that one fixes the mistake and moves on.  Suppose it
were to turn out to have been a  mistake to use D.  Well I have
made costlier mistakes then that this year and it's only August.
And, as if happens, I don't think it was a mistake.

So you may think what you wish about the motivations of donors,
but I think you might do well to base your views on evidence not
imaginings if you wish to be taken seriously :)