X86_mscoff / x86_64 as default for dub projects (windows)

Rubn where at is.this
Fri Dec 7 22:15:30 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 6 December 2018 at 22:50:25 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 December 2018 at 17:58:17 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is mostly interesting for windows developers. What is
>> your opinion of switching to architecture x86_mscoff or x86_64
>> as default on windows?
>>
>> To be pretty clear, you still can compile to x86 OMF by
>> setting the default architecture either in settings.json or as
>> command line argument. The proposal is just to set another
>> default.
>>
>> This is now possible as DMD and LDC comes with lld and the
>> needed libraries.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Andre
>
> I'd  wish this too (i also wish DWARF info in mscoff).
> Unfortunately last time i tried to built DCD using -m64 (and
> MINGW stuff + LLD) the resulting PE crashed, so maybe there are
> problems to fix before switching.

This is part of the problem, in that there are more tests run on
Linux than Windows. DMD doesn't even compile it self on Windows
to test. It does for linux though. Also some of the community
projects are all compiled and tested on linux but not windows.
That's the state it is in, the only tests that are run are the
most basic ones. Can't expect DMD on Windows to be stable at all,
if ever that's the way it goes though I guess. No one seems to
care or thinks running tests on linux only is good enough for
windows.