X86_mscoff / x86_64 as default for dub projects (windows)

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sat Dec 8 02:08:14 UTC 2018

On Friday, December 7, 2018 3:15:30 PM MST Rubn via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 December 2018 at 22:50:25 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> > On Thursday, 6 December 2018 at 17:58:17 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This is mostly interesting for windows developers. What is
> >> your opinion of switching to architecture x86_mscoff or x86_64
> >> as default on windows?
> >>
> >> To be pretty clear, you still can compile to x86 OMF by
> >> setting the default architecture either in settings.json or as
> >> command line argument. The proposal is just to set another
> >> default.
> >>
> >> This is now possible as DMD and LDC comes with lld and the
> >> needed libraries.
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> Andre
> >
> > I'd  wish this too (i also wish DWARF info in mscoff).
> > Unfortunately last time i tried to built DCD using -m64 (and
> > MINGW stuff + LLD) the resulting PE crashed, so maybe there are
> > problems to fix before switching.
>
> This is part of the problem, in that there are more tests run on
> Linux than Windows. DMD doesn't even compile it self on Windows
> to test. It does for linux though. Also some of the community
> projects are all compiled and tested on linux but not windows.
> That's the state it is in, the only tests that are run are the
> most basic ones. Can't expect DMD on Windows to be stable at all,
> if ever that's the way it goes though I guess. No one seems to
> care or thinks running tests on linux only is good enough for
> windows.

The entire test suite for druntime, Phobos, and dmd has to pass on all
supported platforms on the auto-tester:

https://auto-tester.puremagic.com/

Windows is not exempt from that. So, unless there are a bunch of tests in
the test suite which are needlessly platform-specific, Windows is getting
tested just as much as Linux is. Where do you get the idea that it's not?

- Jonathan M Davis