Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 18:45:40 UTC 2018

On 1/31/18 5:35 AM, Benny wrote:

> Auto generated libraries where all functions are dumped into massive one
> pagers.
>
> https://dlang.org/phobos/std_datetime_date.html
>
> Is this readable when the first two pages are this:
>
> jan
> feb
> mar
> apr
> may
> jun
> jul
> aug
> sep
> oct
> nov
> dec
> sun
> mon
> tue
> wed
> thu
> fri
> sat
>
> Const "jump to" lists intermixed between the documentation.
>
> No clear function calls:
>
> const pure nothrow @nogc @property @safe ubyte daysInMonth();
>
> Const
> Pure
> nothrow
> @nogc
> @property
> @safe
> ubyte ...
>
> and FINALLY the actual function call your looking for: daysInMonth();

This is an issue that was recently introduced. Until dconf2017 (May of
last year), all of std.datetime was in one file.

But while the code was split into logical units, the documentation was
not. Unfortunately, it needs a lot of attention to make sure the docs
are written to cater to the new split design.

> And please ... do like always, cut my post into small parts and start
> criticizing and attacking the author that he needs to "put more effort
> into it or pay". Or some other bullshit. And then complain how people
> troll the forum because they complain and not do anything to solve it.
> Tired of reading the same rhetoric as are the people who think posts
> like this are troll posts.

We are always here to help with issues in D, and constructive criticism
is welcome and appreciated! But I don't know how to help you with the "D
sucks, everyone should use some other language" issue. It's not part of
my knowledgebase.

-Steve