C's Biggest Mistake on Hacker News

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jul 26 00:18:10 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:27:45PM +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 at 00:41:54 UTC, RhyS wrote:
[...]
> > I am sorry to say but to succeed as a language beyond being a small
> > or hobby language it takes: Being established already or having a
> > big name to hype behind your "product".
>
> I don't agree.  We are in a time of positive disruption when old
> heuristics break down.
>
> All D has to do is to keep compounding its adoption and what average
> people think of D is completely irrelevant.  What's important is what
> the best people amongst those who are principals rather than agents
> think of D.  There's no point selling it to a committee, but who wants
> to deal with committees anyway - life is too short for that if one
> possibly has the choice.

+1.

[...]
> > If i am honest, DasBetterC is a for me unreliable D product because
> > using specific D library function can be GC. Or DasBetterC needs to
> > be sold as C only, ever, forget about everything else that is D (
> > library, packages, ... ). Until everything is 100% GC free, your
> > going to run into this. And even when its 100% GC free, people have
> > long memories.
>
> Don't use it if you don't want to.  But making predictions is a tricky
> thing and mostly of not much value.  I think it's more interesting to
> be the change you wish to see in the world.
[...]

+1!!!  Predictions rarely come true, as history proves.

And for the amount of effort put into naysaying, so much more could have
done productively.  But hey, if that's what people like doing, then what
is one to say.

Being able to learn is a great learning; being able to unlearn is a greater learning.