D on top of Hacker News!

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Jun 5 20:15:07 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, June 05, 2018 15:09:56 Dejan Lekic via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 June 2018 at 17:40:46 UTC, I love Ice Cream wrote:
> >> Is D really a top 20 language? I don't remember seeing it
> >> anywhere close to the top 20.
> >>
> >> https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/ has them in 31
> >
> > Top comment is kind of depressing.
>
> The right place to look is https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/d/
>
> I agree with other comments regarding TIOBE - they are constantly
> changing how they do statistics so they are not relevant source
> at all. Just look where Kotlin is there and that should pretty
> much tell you everything. I know at least 10 large companies that
> are moving from Java/Scala to Kotlin, yet Kotlin is at the bottom
> 50 table... Ridiculous...

The TIOBE has never been a measurement of how much any given language is
used. At best, it's been a measurement of which languages folks have been
searching for. That can tell you something, but you have to understand what
it's measuring to have any clue what it does tell you. And of course,
because of how difficult it is to measure search results for a particular
language, they keep changing their criteria. The result is that while the
tiobe index may be interesting, it must be taken with a very large grain of
salt - and that's without getting into any discussions of how valid it is or
isn't to use search results from google to do the measuring.

- Jonathan M Davis