D on top of Hacker News!

I love Ice Cream IloveIcecream. at icecreamsandwhich.com
Tue Jun 5 21:53:51 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 at 20:15:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 05, 2018 15:09:56 Dejan Lekic via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:

>> > Top comment is kind of depressing.
>>
>> The right place to look is https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/d/
>>
>> I agree with other comments regarding TIOBE - they are
>> constantly changing how they do statistics so they are not
>> relevant source at all. Just look where Kotlin is there and
>> that should pretty much tell you everything. I know at least
>> 10 large companies that are moving from Java/Scala to Kotlin,
>> yet Kotlin is at the bottom 50 table... Ridiculous...
>
> The TIOBE has never been a measurement of how much any given
> language is used. At best, it's been a measurement of which
> languages folks have been searching for. That can tell you
> something, but you have to understand what it's measuring to
> have any clue what it does tell you. And of course, because of
> how difficult it is to measure search results for a particular
> language, they keep changing their criteria. The result is that
> while the tiobe index may be interesting, it must be taken with
> a very large grain of salt - and that's without getting into
> any discussions of how valid it is or isn't to use search
> results from google to do the measuring.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

And all of the other metrics done by other groups that was
provided that paints a similar picture?

http://githut.info/

http://pypl.github.io/PYPL.html

http://sogrady-media.redmonk.com/sogrady/files/2018/03/lang.rank_.118.png

https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-2017-top-programming-languages

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2016

I'm not really intending to crap on anyone here. It's just the
dismissal of a collection of data all pointing towards one
particular conclusion is a bit strange. It seems like the
interest in D is going down not up. I mean it could have a
renaissance, but I'd imagine some work would have to be put into
that to make it happen.