Is it possible to set up DConf Asia?

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sat Jun 30 05:53:23 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 05:36:52 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Saturday, June 30, 2018 02:34:00 Joakim via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 02:23:57 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>> wrote:
>> > [...]
>>
>> That's nice, but since you present no arguments other than
>> simply stating that it's "valuable" or "a very good idea"
>> that's "gone up"- why? who knows? That would require actually
>> supplying an argument- the 99.9% of D users who've never
>> attended Dconf are unlikely to be persuaded that it's ever
>> worth attending DConf or wasting any more time with a language
>> that is more focused on blowing time and money on that
>> outdated conference format than getting work done on the
>> language.
>
> As I stated previously, having people meet in person can be a
> game changer. It gives you a different perspective on people
> and allows for much more efficient communication in many cases.
> Some stuff does work best when communicated online, but a lot
> of stuff works better when you have people in the same place
> discussing things.
>
> It could certainly be argued that we should do more with less
> traditional stuff like birds of a feather sessions or other
> activities that are geared specifically towards folks
> interacting, but the talks convey lots of useful information
> and ideas, and there's a lot of discussions that go on about
> the talks and other topics during the time that talks aren't
> happening. It would be a real loss to the D community if we
> lost that.

As I stated previously and Adam reiterates, then do the actual
in-person stuff that you find worthwhile and cut out the stuff
that's "best when communicated online." I completely disagree
that talks are in the former category and not the latter,
particularly when a large majority of the scheduled time is spent
on them.