It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Nov 24 17:03:25 UTC 2018

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 07:50:30AM +0000, Joakim via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 24 November 2018 at 02:45:46 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 01:38:07AM +0000, Laeeth Isharc via
> > Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> > Right now, it's still an experimental project to test out the
> > waters...  Things are looking good and it might turn into a "real"
> > project soon, but as of now, it's still experimental.
> > [...]
>
> Interesting, good to hear it's working well. I plan to write up a post
> for the D blog about the Android port next month: this would make a
> good demo to link to, particularly if the source is available.
>
> Any chance you'll make it available, at least as a demo app if not the
> source code? If you have commercial aims for this app and don't want
> to release either, that's fine and I understand.

I would release the code... except it still has a long way to go before
it's ready for public consumption. It's definitely not going to be ready
by next month, unfortunately.  But perhaps a demo APK might not be
out-of-place. It's not quite presentable yet in terms of UI, but it does
work, and displays nice eye-candy suitable for a simple demo.

The biggest problem with releasing the code right now is that out of
convenience, I reused some geometric models from a different project of
mine, which is otherwise completely unrelated to this one (and which I'm
not ready to release quite yet), and as a quick hack to be able to
access the data I pulled it in as a git submodule, and the model
generation utility depends on some of its source files.  Before
releasing the code I really should just pull out the model data directly
into independent data files, instead of the "dirty" cross-dependency.
(The main reason I haven't done anything about this yet, is because I
hope to eventually generate the model data independently of this other
project -- it's really just a quick and dirty way of obtaining some
interesting geometry for testing OpenGL ES rendering, and was never
meant to be a permanent dependency.)

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.