It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Sat Nov 24 17:43:05 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 24 November 2018 at 16:46:02 UTC, welkam wrote:

> But most people ignore them and work on what they want to work
> on. They scratch their own itch so to speak and if you try to
> force them to do something else they wont work at all. If you
> could figure out a way to make people work for free and on
> things that we want that be great.

That's definitely a problem. It's not completely true though.
Some people answer questions on Stack Overflow even though it
doesn't benefit them in any way to do so - they get (more or
less) meaningless points for answering questions. Some people put
in long hours for minor Linux distributions, doing things that
don't benefit them at all. Some people answer newbie Linux
questions for hours at a time. Heck, I wasted time getting one of
my projects to work on Windows, even though I would rather change
jobs than use Windows.

I think the problem with D is that the work that needs to be done
is not clearly defined, you don't get credit in any way, and even
if you do it, there's no reason to think you've done it "right",
so it might all be for nothing. If you can fix those three
things, you might be able to get people to contribute to things
they don't care about.

There are other solutions too. If you can partner with a
department in a university, you can give students internship
credit for working on certain projects.