D Binding to GUI libraries

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Mon Oct 22 16:23:15 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 21 October 2018 at 17:15:03 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-10-21 at 08:42 +0000, Paolo Invernizzi via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> […]
>>
>> Linux is not only the desktop, and Qt simply dominates in
>> industrial, medical and automation sector, that's where the
>> money is.
>>
>> Qt is pushing strongly on the embedded marked, bare metal or
>> linux (kernel) based...
>
> Which means that D not having a good play in the Qt space is a
> big
> barrier to adoption. This means it ought to be a strategic goal
> to have
> a (and I think I mean one here) D binding to Qt and QML.

It's easy to go and proclaim a strategic goal such as this. What
actually matters is execution. And that requires some serious
developer time that someone (ideally a whole team) needs to
invest. I don't see this happening without some equally serious
financial backing.

I, for one, won't have any time to work on such a thing in the
foreseeable future.

Does anyone have experience with bounty programs? I envision one
where bounties get posted with an open pool for each one. That
is, if you agree that one task should be done, you can put
additional money into its pool and make that particular bounty
more attractive. It won't help attract professional developers
but it might nudge some hobbyists to earn some money while taking
on an interesting challenge. This might work for all the small
things around D that lots of D users don't like and want improved.