Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

Shachar Shemesh shachar at weka.io
Wed Sep 26 06:50:47 UTC 2018

On 25/09/18 15:35, Dukc wrote:
> Another reason is that something may not have a good translation to
> English. If there is an enum type listing city names, it is IMO better
> to write them as normal, using Unicode. CityName.seinäjoki, not
> CityName.seinaejoki.

This sounded like a very compelling example, until I gave it a second
thought. I now fail to see how this example translates to a real-life
scenario.

City names (data, changes over time) as enums (compile time set) seem
like a horrible idea.

That may sound like a very technical objection to an otherwise valid
point, but it really think that's not the case. The properties that
cause city names to be poor candidates for enum values are the same as
those that make them Unicode candidates.

Shachar