Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Apr 14 08:21:38 UTC 2019

On 4/14/2019 1:01 AM, Mike Franklin wrote:
> For those who don't know and want to help Walter out, the list is here:
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/p6oibo$1lmi$1@digitalmars.com

And some examples of what I'm trying to accomplish:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9510
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9527

Like:

     super(ident);
     this.loc = loc;

replaced with:

     super(loc, ident);

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/commit/033879a6b733aa121e354b4399ecdb7fa59cc923#diff-e9eb240d8785a5470c85ca78b4145383R125

This is more than just cosmetic. The first method cannot be used to build a
const object, the second can.

Also, upending the code base with large changes and reorganizations is not
likely to get incorporated, and be aware that people can and do disagree
strongly about what constitutes improvement and what doesn't. When in doubt, do
a small version and see how it goes.